History of Bangalore and Draft BBMP
History of Bangalore
Bangalore, located on the southern plateau at an elevation of 949 meters (3113 ft) above sea level, has the best climate of all the cities of India. The Bangalore word is derived from the words “Benda Kalu”. As the hero of the Vijayanagara Empire, once lost in the jungle, saw a lonely hut. Just as an old man who lived there offered him a bowl of food. Hence the name of the place was called Benda Kaloor. The same Bendakalur eventually became known as Bangalore in Kannada and Bangalore in English. However, in a temple inscription in the village of Begur, AD. History states that the name “Bangalore” was recorded as early as Ballala’s time. Even today Bangalore is within the city limits of Kodigehalli, which is now known as Old Bangalore or “HalebengaLooru”.
The Bengaluru we see today was designed by Kempe Gowda in 1537. One of his favorite hobbies was hunting, and once he was surprised to see a rabbit chasing a dog, and named it “Groundhog”. In 1537, Kempegowda, who was in charge of the Yelahanka, built a mud fort and built the small towns of Bekpet, Aralipete (Cottonpet), and Chikkapete within the fort with the help of King Achyutarayana. Today, these small areas are the main wholesale and commercial areas of the city. In order to mark the boundaries of the city, Kempegowda’s son built four nigagopuras. Although they can still be seen today, they still make up the heart of the city.
In 1638, Shivaji’s father, Shahjirao Bhosle, captured the city. In 1687, Aurangzeb’s army captured the city and sold it to the Wodeyars for only Rs 300,000. Later, in 1759, Wodeyar built the famous Lal Bagh, the most beautiful park in Bangalore. In the same year, Haider Ali received the conquest of Bangalore by Krishnaraja Wodeyar II. He built the fort at the South Fort and made Bangalore a military city.
When the Tipu Sultans died in the Fourth Mysore War of 1799, the British gave the state, including Bangalore, to the Krishnaraja lords, but its inhabitants remained in Bangalore.
The General Post Office was opened in the early 19th century, and nine years later, in 1809, the Cantonment was established. In 1831, the British regained control of the Mysore state, complaining that the third Krishnaraja Wodeyar was in the wrong.
With the influence of the British, modern facilities like railways, telegraph, postal and police departments were made available to Bangalore. In 1859 the first train from the city was shown a green light. Five years later, in 1864, Sankey built the beautiful Cubbon Park. At the end of the century, the Attara Office and the Bangalore Palace were built. The first motor car entered the city in the 20th century.
In 1881 the British returned the city to the owners. Sir Mirza Ismail and Sir M. Vishweshwaraiah led Bengaluru to its modernity.
From there, the city has grown and evolved into the city you see today. Bangalore is India’s fifth largest and fastest growing city in Asia.
History of the BMP
Huge Bangalore metropolis
The history of the administration of the municipality of Bangalore dates back to March 27, 1862. The administration was initiated by the city’s nine most important citizens, created as a municipality under the Towns Reform Act of 1850. Later, a similar council was formed in the city’s cantonment area. In 1881, both councils were legalized, and they began to function as two independent councils, namely the Bangalore City Municipality and the Bangalore Citizen and Army Municipal Council. The concept of elected representatives came into existence the following year, and the property tax came into effect the same year.
In January 2007, the Government of Karnataka announced the merger of seven Urban Municipal Council (CMC), one Town Municipal Council (TMC), and 111 villages around the city under the existing Bangalore Municipal Council to create a single Bangalore Municipal Council. The process was completed in April 2007 and the board was renamed the “Big Bangalore Metropolitan Palike” (‘BruhatBengaluru Mahanagara Palike’.).
for Complaints: http://bbmp.sahaaya.in
Contact No. 080-22660000